We are over-the-moon excited to offer the “Stories in Stitches” online workshop with Sujata Shah. Participants will learn how to make a Siddi kawandi. (“Kawandi” means quilt.) Natalie took her workshop last month at the Vermont Quilt Festival and loved it so much, she contacted Sujata about teaching our guild. The only available time she has is Friday, September 17th 6:00 – 9:00 pm. The cost to each member is $50; nonmembers $60.
Here are 10 reasons why you need to take this workshop.
- Sujata is an amazing teacher. Gentle, wise, extremely knowledgeable, and an exciting artist.
- The class connects quilting and life in ways I hadn’t thought of before.
- To make a kawandi, you don’t need scissors, rotary tools, irons, or sewing machines. Just needle and thread and a thimble.
- When you make a kawandi, you do the binding, piecing, and quilting all at once! When it’s done, it’s done.
- You won’t know what your quilt really looks like until you sew on the final piece. Surprise!
- Making a kawandi is a terrific use of scraps.
- But if you don’t want a scrappy look, Sujata has made some beautiful kawandi using solids for a totally different look. (Visit her web sitehttps://therootconnection.blogspot.com ). Also, Margaret Fabrizio is crazy amazing, too: http://margaretfabrizio.com/quilts/index.html
- If you are new to hand quilting, this is a fun and “safe” place to start. Sujata talks about how our stitching, in all its “imperfections”, is really telling our story. The learning process is part of our story. Kawandi stitching is relatively small, not larger stitching as you may have seen in kantha quilting.
- Sewing a kawandi is addicting, and it feels glorious as you add more and more rows of stitches.
- If you don’t believe me, here is a blog post by a woman who took Sujata’s class: https://aquilterstable.blogspot.com/2020/11/kawandi.html
August 26, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Are there still spaces available for this workshop? There doesn’t appear to be a link to sign up.
August 26, 2021 at 1:39 pm
There are spaces left. We would love to have you join us. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in signing up.